Saturday, October 26, 2013

Use rebatch in a Cream soap?!....

The finished re-batched cream soap. Add more water for more fluff.

Put that rebatch to good use!

I have been really busy lately. I wish I could say I have spent most of my time making soap and other goodies but I have spent most of this past week trolling the internet finding a whipped soap recipe that uses re-batched soap. The soaps I make are divine. What I have found are countless from scratch CP recipes that require 5 months before it can be used. The bad thing about that is that I use whipped soap in almost everything I do. I can not afford to wait that amount of time for something that could not ever "rot" to my desired fluffy consistency. I would hate, as a novice to the cream soap world, to invest half a year in something to find out I forgot something. So I hit the crock-pot and burned a lot of midnight oil and early morning light making what I consider fabulous whipped soap. Now I am going to share this with you. I went on every forum, asked for any information from numerous people and never heard a peep until Sharon Soaper. With all her years of experience with beautiful soap shed some light on the subject for me. I could not thank her enough for sharing with me. She gave me info I couldn't find anywhere else on the web.
  Now, if you are looking for a broke down ounce to tsp. recipe your not going to find it. At least not yet. Since everything depends on preference of texture you have the chance to take these guidelines and truly make it your own.
  First off, the experiments I pulled off were all fresh goat's mill, luxury rebatch. It is such an amazing soap I could not let those shavings just sit around. I do not skimp one bit on the ingredients so to treat anything I make with it like it is second rate would be insult to my work. I have not done any of this with a run of the mill, non milk basic rebatch so you might have a slightly different outcome than my batches depending on your recipe. Less might be more in this situation so let me know how it turns out.

 Whipped Soap~ trial run:)

 I took roughly 14 to 15 oz of soap shredded it super fine with the Pampered Chef hand shredder with the crank, (uber EASY!) It makes the chore of grating down your rebatch practically a breeze and makes the shreds so thin that it melts very fast and less clumps.
  Added it to the crock pot on low, with about a half a cup of water. If you shred super fine, check often, add water as needed, stir occasionally, you know the drill. You want to keep it a stew like base. At this time I add a little extra mango butter, glycerine and safflower oil. Careful with the additives, they are going to take away from the bubble action of the end product so use sparingly. Now once it has completely melted(consistency should be around " thick gravy zone"). Let it heat thoroughly, now take you mixer and blend. You want to incorporate as much air into this as possible. I added a little cornstarch, glycerine & water mix to it and continue to whip. After about a two hour full process of adding, heating and waiting you can turn the heat off and let it set for a minimum of 8 hours. The mixture will be firm-ish again. Add a little water and start fluffing. You can add a little more oil to get the consistency you desire. This recipe doesn't give you the full on cloud type fluff I like but it is whipped and creamy and anyone would love the way it makes you feel. I read that a lot of cream soaps were very drying. I can tell you that this recipe with the butter blend goat's milk left my hands feeling amazing. So what it lacks in fluff, it makes up for in other areas. I proceeded to mix this with sugar and made an amazing all natural goat's milk sugar scrub, packaged and ready for the shop in less than 24 hours.

  Recipe 2 Courtesy of the advice of the amazing Sharon Soaper~

You grate down your rebatch, I used about 20 ounces of shredded rebatch and I added my water, a little more than last time with this recipe. I let it melt down, stirring as it melted. When it had turned to liquid , I added the Sodium Lactate, (I get mine from Bramble Berry, they have the best
batch pre- Sodium Lactate
price at the moment) I added a tbs per pound which could have been to much now that i think about it. The regular usage rate is 1tsp per pound of oils so I would try it as directed first to save yourself from wasting un-nececery product. The mix thins out after the SL is added, that's just temporary, don't worry. I proceeded to blend it until it thickened ( about 20 min.) It had risen just about to the top of the crock pot. I covered it and let it set up overnight. Checked on it 7-8 hours later and the top was perfect after a little whipping. The bottom was still a little runny so I pulled the top
layer off, mixed the bottom really good and let it set up the rest of the way. After a few hours I mixed it all back together and blended like a mad woman. Adding a little water here and there depending on the fluffy you are after. I have got to invest in a hands free mixer. Killing my arthritis:) but non the less, it was fluffy and gorgeous just what I was looking for in texture. The only thing is that it was a
little drying, That I have to fix. I think it could be I used too much SL or the fact that I added it solo without the extra helping of oil and butter. The first batch was skin pleasing all the way with the added oils and butter, lathered good too.  But I must say, I used batch number 2 as a shaving cream that same day and I had never used better. No razor burn and normally that always happens with my skin. Absolutely dreamy.
  Now a few of loose end thoughts and points that may cross your mind during this process. Don't over think it. This is a very forgiving process.
 little thin after adding SL
~If you add too much water, just cook it out by heating and stirring a little longer till the consistency gets slightly thicker. You don't want it runny but at the same time the water is necessary for the fluff so don't be stingy.
~If it turns out a little flat or not desirable looking that's okay too. You could add a little more soap to it. As long as it is a good soap you can always add some sugar and whip it that way so the fluff is not center stage. Additives are another way to make it special as well, I used ground oatmeal & jojoba beads in my last batch. I am not sure how clays will effect it but I am sure I will know soon;)
~ Color, I used titanium dioxide to counter react the tan cream of the goat's milk. The tsp I had on hand was not enough. It was enough to lighten it but didn't give it the white most people like. So add gradually till the color you want is achieved.
~Scent. Both batches held scent really well so don't go over board. It took a lot less than I would have put into an MP batch of whipped soap.
~Preservative? My thought was, I am adding all this water after the process has already been completed so surely I will need a preservative, right? I quizzed the Soap Queen on my preservative concern and she informed me that if using one, to make sure your formula is below 100 degrees when you mix it and there should be no problems adding it. Sharon Soaper says, that unless you actually have an issue, don't use it. Any unneeded ingredients can really jeopardize the lather and texture of the finished product I have left some uncovered and experimented with bacteria and none problems so far.
Whip after SL, then wait 8 hrs and whip again
~Experiment, we all have re-batch laying around normally. Play around with it. I read using aloe juice is a good sub for water and I am going to try pure coconut water in my next batch so check back with me for updates and revisions. I have only just begun with this new obsession.
 I am no expert, I am just a lady who loves making soap. I don't have vast knowledge but I learn whatever I can anyway I can. There will be updates as I find them out. Anything I learn through my trials that can shed light on this method I will share. I am shocked at the lack of info about this. I hope this helps you in the right direction. The people that do this from scratch I have to give much respect, I will achieve this myself one day but even when I began making soap, rebatch was my stepping stone.

*******UPDATE**********
I just wanted to let people know how this has held up over time.... Wonderfully. It has actually improved as far as consistency and the bubbles have increased dramatically. I have closed it up and checked on it monthly and used some to see any change. Almost seven months and I could not be more pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment